Accredited by Waterwise.How do I install a Hippo?
How much can I save?
- Remove the lid from your cistern. Put both hands inside the Hippo and push out the corners to a box shape.
- Place the open end of the Hippo over cistern float.
- Turn the Hippo under the float and immerse it in water.
- Flush the toilet in the normal manner while simultaneously pouring about 4 litres of water into your Hippo.
- Replace the lid of the cistern and start saving water!
In an average home, if your water is metered, Hippo Water Savers can save approximately £20 a year, with a pay-back on your initial investment within 8 to 12 weeks. (Please note, Hippos are only suitable for toilets installed before 2001)Will it fit my cistern?
What is a Hippo?
- If your toilet was installed before 1991, it'll have a 9 litre or larger cistern. A Hippo 9 fitted to this type of toilet will work well and will save up to 3litres of water every flush.
- If your toilet was installed between 1992 to 2001, it'll have a 7.5 litre cistern. A Hippo 7 fitted to this type of toilet will also work well and will save up to 2.5litres of water every flush.
- If your toilet was installed after 2001, it'll have a 6 litre cistern (the current standard), in which case a Hippo should not be used.
Hippo is made from durable heavy gauge Polyethylene, which opens up, origami style, into an open ended box shape when installed. The Hippo happily sits in the water underneath the large cistern float. When the toilet is flushed, the water confined within the Hippo is the volume saved. The Hippo also has a small hole which acts as a relief valve allowing slow circulation of water to prevent stagnation and evaporation.Can I use a Hippo at my office or workplace?
Each employee uses the toilet about 3 times a day - over a working year, without any water saving devices fitted this amounts to 6,000 litres (6 cubic metres) of water. Which means up to a third of your water supply may be being unnecessarily flushed down the toilet. Fit a Hippo and save water and money!Not what you're after?
View all the eco products in our water saving devices
section, or click on any of the links on the left hand side to see more.
We offer 2 Delivery options: Standard and Express.
You'll only ever pay one delivery charge.
Standard UK delivery costs from just £3.95 per order
Express UK delivery costs from just £5.95 per order
For orders over £50, Standard UK mainland delivery is free.
The actual delivery cost depends on the size of your order, it'll be shown in the checkout when you add to basket.
We aim to deliver all UK mainland, Channel Islands & Northern Ireland packages within 3-5 working days. Please refer to our delivery page for further details including costs.
We aim to deliver all UK mainland, Channel Islands & Northern Ireland packages within 2 working days or quicker. Please refer to our delivery page for further details including costs.
How We Send Things
We send all orders by Royal Mail, or by courier if it's heavy. Royal Mail deliver Monday to Saturday, couriers deliver Monday to Friday.
Deliveries are usually made between 9am and 5.30pm. A specific time slot cannot be specified with any of our delivery options.
Please be aware that during our sales or promotions, or when there are circumstances beyond our control such as when there's snow on the roads, delivery may take longer.
European Delivery is available to selected countries.
For a full list of all countries that we ship to, and for full details regarding delivery; including delivery time and costs please click here.