As featured in Real Homes magazine.
It's been specially designed to stop cold draughts, and to be easily positioned, whilst allowing a little ventilation up the chimney. It's completely safe: if heated it shrivels up.
You can also get a mouth inflation tube
so you can still inflate it once it's up the chimney.
Cut out chimney draughts and you could save around £15 a year.
To work out which size Chimney Pillow you need, measure the length and depth of the chimney in the location you have selected to install the Pillow (read on for further info on that).Benefits
- Stops downdraughts and up draughts
- Stops debris, soot and bird mess
- Inflate to install, deflate to remove
- Allows a little ventilation
- Easy to install. Reusable
- Completely safe. If heated it shrivels up
- Easy to inflate and deflate
- Can be easily positioned within chimneys
The sizes shown above are chimney sizes and not pillow sizes. The Chimney Pillow itself will be slightly larger. (The sizes are length x width.)Small - Typical modern fireplaceMedium - Victorian fireplace (most popular)Large - Georgian fireplaceHow to choose the correct size of Chimney Pillow
Chimneys with a damper
- Make sure your fireplace and chimney are cold with no hot ash in the fireplace.
- Sweeping and vacuuming your fireplace will help make it easier.
- NB It is only necessary to measure approximately, and choose the Chimney Pillow of the approximate size or slightly bigger than your chimney.
- We suggest you use a flexible steel tape measure (Stanley type) or two pieces of cardboard extended like wings.
(If your chimney has a damper you should see a metal flap with a lever that closes the chimney.)
The Chimney Pillow should be installed above the damper. Select an area for its installation making sure that this does not interfere with the damper flap or any damper hardware. The area must have parallel or slightly sloping walls ideally with texture for the Pillow to grab and lodge when inflated. The damper ledge acts to provide extra support to the weight of the Pillow. A Chimney Pillow can also be installed well above the damper, so it is possible to close the damper below it.
Measure the length and depth of the chimney in the location you have selected to install the Pillow. Chimneys without a damper
(a chimney with no closing mechanism)
Identify the narrowest part of your chimney within arms reach. Choose an area to install the Chimney Pillow. Make sure it won't be interfered with by any hardware or sharp edges in the chimney. The area must have parallel or slightly sloping walls ideally with texture for the Pillow to grab and lodge when inflated.
Measure the length and depth of the chimney in the location you have selected. Not what you're after?
View all the eco products in our energy efficiency and energy saving devices
section, or click on any of the links on the left hand side to see more.